Grand Theft Auto Online

Take-Two Promises “Many More Updates” for GTA Online

Article By 
Alan Walsh
August 12, 2019
Grand Theft Auto Online

Take-Two Promises “Many More Updates” for GTA Online

Article By 
Alan Walsh
August 12, 2019

GTA Online and Red Dead Online are both set to receive “many more updates” throughout Take-Two Interactive’s current fiscal year, which ends on March 31st, 2020.

In a recently published 2019 annual report to its investors, the company stated that it aims to support its titles with “innovative post-launch content that drives engagement and recurrent consumer spending,” listing both Red Dead Online and GTA Online as two prime candidates set to receive ongoing updates.

As noted in that same report, sales of Grand Theft Auto products generated 25.7% of net revenue for Take-Two’s previous fiscal year, which ended on March 31st, 2019. Similarly, Red Dead Redemption product sales accounted for 32.1%. Combined, both Rockstar franchises made up 57.8% of the company’s net revenue throughout the 2019 financial period.

Almost six years since its release, Grand Theft Auto V has sold-in over 110 million units. When combined with Red Dead Redemption 2, as well as both titles' online experiences, Rockstar’s two most recent games garnered almost 90 million unique players in the 2019 fiscal year alone. Take-Two Interactive also noted that to date, more than 200 million unique player accounts have played either Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2 or both.

Meanwhile, Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold-in more than 25 million units worldwide since launch, as revealed in the company’s most recent earnings call with investors. The open-world western epic was also listed as the best-selling game of 2018. Take-Two Interactive believes that the game’s online component is “poised for success” and reassures that it will receive “many more updates in the future,” alongside GTA Online's continued support.

“Rockstar Games will continue to support both immersive online worlds with innovative content to keep players engaged and drive growth over time,” the company states.

GTA Online recently broke player records with the grand opening of The Diamond Casino & Resort, the latest expansion to come alive in Rockstar’s persistently growing online experience. Its long-awaited debut set impressive new milestones for the total number of daily, weekly and monthly players – making July 2019 the most successful month in the history of GTA Online. In addition to traditional table games such as Poker, Roulette and Blackjack, as well as Slot Machines, this update featured new Casino Story missions, the ability to buy your own luxurious Penthouse with customizable furnishings, and more.

Rockstar Games continues to add new vehicles to GTA Online on a weekly basis as “drip-feed” content that comes alongside new events for The Diamond Casino & Resort. These include the high-end Vysser Neo premium supercar, as well as the burly Bravado Gauntlet Classic muscle car. Rockstar has previously teased that “new gameplay, vehicles and more updates” are set to arrive into GTA Online over the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Red Dead Online exited its “Beta” period on May 14th, 2019. This came alongside a significant update that was designed to “strengthen and stabilize the entire Red Dead Online experience” with new cooperative Story missions, the introduction of Poker, new Defensive and Hostility systems, and various new Showdown Modes and Stranger Missions. Rockstar Games will ship a new Red Dead Online update later this Summer, allowing players to assume the role of either a Bounty Hunter, a Collector or a Trader, in addition to being able to reset their character’s appearance, acquire a canine companion and more.

Alan Walsh

Alan is the co-founder and co-owner of FullThrottle Media. As someone who enjoys spending all his free time playing video games, he delivers the latest in news stories, reviews, and feature articles to the website, as well as videos on his YouTube channel and livestreams over on Mixer.